Hamilton, Madison, and Jay

This blog is devoted to a variety of topics including politics, current events, legal issues, and we even take the time to have some occasional fun. After all, blogging is about having a little fun, right?

Name:
Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

Who are we? We're a married couple who has a passion for politics and current events. That's what this site is about. If you read us, you know what we stand for.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Another Huck Up

He claims he will not air this attack ad on Mitt Romney because he is taking the moral high ground. Yet, he played it for reporters to prove that he had made it. From MSNBC:

In what has to be one of the most bizarre political press conferences in recent times, Huckabee told a packed room of reporters that he was pulling a negative TV ad his campaign had produced to respond to Romney's attacks.

"The cookie cutter approach says you get hit, you hit back,” Huckabee told the reporters, adding, “I think that the Washington way often has been effective. But there may be a better way, and I hope that we can prove that's exactly the case."

Then -- via a laptop projector -- he showed the ad anyway to the several dozen journalists in the room.

Adding to the spectacle, the sound of the ad didn't work for several minutes -- until the press got to hear it one time. The ad, which his campaign said cost $30,000 to produce, begins with Huckabee speaking to the viewer. "I'm Mike Huckabee, and I approve this message, because Iowans have a right to know the truth about Mitt Romney's dishonest attacks on me and even an American hero, John McCain."

Then an announcer takes over. "Romney's record? Over $700 million in new taxes. Left office with a deficit. No executions. Supported gun control. And Romney's government mandated health plan provided a $50 co-pay for abortion." Huckabee has the last word. "If a man is dishonest to obtain a job, he'll on the job," he says in the ad. "Iowans deserve better."

"Hopefully, this is an ad that you will see just in this room," he told the reporters.

Asked why he would announce he's pulling a negative ad -- but show it anyway -- Huckabee replied, "If I didn't show it, you'd say I never had [the ad]."

On his decision to pull the ad, Huckabee added, "If it hurts me, it hurts me... I'm taking a risk here. I know I am. If it completely makes it so he pulls away in a dramatic way, then I'll probably be the last guy to ever do this. But I'd like to be the first one to ever try."

"Thursday night, I will let you know if it was smart."


This is a low blow. He knows the press is going to eat this up, and he is going to get a ton of free publicity out of it. It does not matter that it cost him $30,000 to make. He will not have to pay for the ad time when the media runs with it. I suppose the bigger question is whether or not the media will actually rip into him over how duplicitous and deceitful this presser was.

"Here is the ad I made, but I will not run because I am better than that, and I am only showing it to you to prove I do have the testicular fortitude to make such an ad."

Sounds childish to us. Almost like a kid being taunted that he cannot do what he boasts of, then does it anyway to show he can do it. The difference is the kid proves his point. Mike Huckabee proves that he can play the game of politics, too, while keeping the other cheek turned away. Will it fool Iowans? We really hope that those in Iowa are smart enough to recognize a schmoozing politician that has about as much honesty as the previous "man from Hope" that left us in the early stages of a recession, left us vulnerable to our enemies, and breezed out of town with his pardon money, and ill-gotten gains from the White House

Marcie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home