Hamilton, Madison, and Jay

This blog is devoted to a variety of topics including politics, current events, legal issues, and we even take the time to have some occasional fun. After all, blogging is about having a little fun, right?

Name:
Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

Who are we? We're a married couple who has a passion for politics and current events. That's what this site is about. If you read us, you know what we stand for.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Heartbreak -- Dean Barnett, 1967-2008

Forget the rest of the crap I've posted today. The blogosphere has lost a good man. Dean Barnett passed away today. About three weeks ago, while subbing for Hugh Hewitt, Dean had to leave in the final hour due to an asthma attack. Since then, he was fighting for his life in intensive care. Unfortunately, he lost that fight. From Bill Kristol:

It's my sad duty to report that our good friend and valued contributor Dean Barnett passed away today. He was a remarkable man--principled, witty, and to all of us, a model of grace and courage. We mourn his passing and cherish his memory.

This is a blow to Marcie and I. We had heard that he was getting better, and then this happens. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family in this time of grieving.

I'm going to miss talking to "Chowdah" when he subs for Hugh. We know that the Hewitt "family" (family, friends, colleagues and listeners) will be joining Dean's family in mourning his passing.

God speed, Chowdah. You will be missed.

Publius II

ADDENDUM: I know, I know. It's been some time since I put this post up, but Marcie reminded me of an Irish blessing tonight. And it seems fitting:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

And I'm also reminded of a song that best fits this day.

Sunny days seem to hurt the most.
I wear the pain like a heavy coat.
I feel you everywhere I go.
I see your smile, I see your face,
I hear you laughin' in the rain.
I still can't believe you're gone.

It ain't fair: you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I've been through,
Just knowin' no-one could take your place.
An' sometimes I wonder,
Who'd you be today?

Would you see the world? Would you chase your dreams?
Settle down with a family,
I wonder what would you name your babies?
Some days the sky's so blue,
I feel like I can talk to you,
An' I know it might sound crazy.

It ain't fair: you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I've been through,
Just knowin' no-one could take your place.
An' sometimes I wonder,
Who you'd be today?

The song is by Kenny Chesney, and it's called "Who You'd Be Today." We all know that Dean had a wife and family, and they he loved them more than the world. But we also know that he lived his life to the fullest. It's still cruel that he was taken from us at such a young age. He was 41. I'm 36. I can't even begin to fathom what he still wanted to accomplish and see before he passed. It hurts. It really does. When I told Marcie about this, she was silent, and when she got home I could see she'd been crying.

That's how Dean touched us. Sure he was a Red Sox fan (we can't all be perfect), and sure he had that accent (Hey, I dubbed him "Chowdah" the first time I called in) but you could forgive him those minor faults. And they weren't even really faults. They were just my prejudices against him. But I liked him. WE liked him a lot. Out of all of the fill-in hosts that we heard on Hugh's show he was the best. To sit there and say he'll be missed is an understatement.

This world was robbed of a very, very good and intelligent man. But look at the bright side. He's up in Heaven right now with William F. Buckley, Tim Russert, and Tony Snow.

I'd pay money to hear what they're talking about right now.

God speed Chowdah. We'll see you again someday.

Publius II

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heartbreak for sure, didn't get to hear about this until driving home listening to Hugh's show.

Dean had such wit, intellect and grat insight, not mentoin one funny man. The proud "chowd" will be missed deeply.

Nice pick with the Kenny Chesney tune.....great song and one of the all time greatest video's.

October 28, 2008 at 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home